Blossom – Mission Inspiration April 2017

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” ~Anais Nin

This is one of my all time favorite quotes. It reminds me that sometimes, change is necessary. As scary and as trying as it may be at times, we all face challenging periods where the only thing that can bring about a different outcome is being willing to accept that something needs to change. I have also learned that things have to get real uncomfortable at times before we are able to find the strength needed to surrender and allow those changes to happen. 

I used to be afraid of change, …. but now I know that change leads to growth.  And growth always leads to something new and beautiful. 

So that is what was on my mind as I started my new page.

This month’s Mission Inspiration challenge included a suggested color scheme of orange, purple and green and I went with the word prompt, blossom.

The prompts:

I almost always start my page with a thin layer of gesso. Next I stamped some pretty butterflies using stamps by Finnabair and purple archival ink by Ranger.

Next I sprayed water on my page and then added orange watercolor paint in random areas. I followed that with another generous spray of water so the color would move around freely on the page and then gave it time to dry.

Next step was to add fabric fragments. For this step, I took apart one of my toddler’s old headbands. The band was made of pink lace and it had a pink flower made out of several felt circles. 

I painted gesso on to the lace to cover up the pink. Then I painted it green and glued it along the bottom of my page to act as grass. (The flower will be added on a later step.)

Step 4 was to add layers of torn paper or card. I tore some patterned paper and then I decided to go ahead and incorporate step 7 at this point as well by adding my quote to the torn paper. I used alphabet stamps with Ranger ink in black.

I added some colored borders to the torn paper using purple Archival ink, and distress ink in evergreen bough and applied with distress ink tools. 

After gluing the torn paper to my page, I also made a stem and leaf for my flower and glued them down as well. 

For step 6, I used a purple gelato to outline my page and then used my finger to smudge it in. A few doodles here and there and this page was done. 

If you would like to join these monthly challenges feel free to look up Mission Inspiration on Facebook and ask to join. It’s a great place to get inspired and to put your creativity to good use. 

Have a great day everyone. May you have the courage to bloom and blossom and grow. 🦋


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s